Can I get a temporary license while resolving unpaid traffic tickets in Kansas?

Posted by Matt McLane | Feb 17, 2023 | 2 Comments

Some drivers who have pending Driving While Suspended charges in Kansas, and who are licensed in Kansas, may qualify for a "temporary license" if they meet the following conditions:

1) must be licensed in Kansas; 2) your license is not currently suspended for other violations (like insurance-SR22-requirements, DUI suspension) not related to the current failure to comply ticket; 3) your license is not currently suspended for out of state tickets that are past due. 

If you meet these conditions, then you can apply for a 'modification of suspension' by using Form DC-1020 found here  I would suggest having a lawyer attach a cover sheet with your application to clarify what tickets are holding back your reinstatement as well as articulating a time frame that you need to get the past due tickets resolved.  The attorney can also provide some assurance that the pending tickets will in fact get resolved.  The Temporary Permit goes a long way in helping to get a good outcome on any pending tickets, such as driving while suspended tickets.  The Permit, if granted, is good for one year. This gives you plenty of time to resolve the outstanding tickets. 

Prosecutors will generally work with you if you have some form of driving privileges such as the Temporary Permit.  Having some driving status is better than remaining suspended.  And the temporary driving permit demonstrates your intentions of getting 'cleared' and that you recognize the seriousness of driving without a valid license.  In sum, this Permit can pave the way for a much quicker resolution of your pending tickets and gives your attorney ammunition when speaking with the prosecutor about a resolution of your tickets. 

About the Author

Matt McLane

Matt McLane was born in Topeka, Kansas, and moved to Pittsburg, Kansas in 1980 where he attended middle school, high school and college. Upon graduation from PSU in 1992, Matt moved back to Topeka where he attended Washburn University law school. Upon graduation, he moved to Overland Park and worked in a small firm handling DUI and traffic cases. He opened the McLane Law Firm in April 2011 and has built his firm on a strong referral base and solid reputation.



Posted May 22, 2023 at 08:43:35

This article provides valuable information for individuals in Kansas who may be dealing with unpaid traffic tickets and are wondering if they can obtain a temporary license while resolving their situation. It’s important to understand the implications of unpaid tickets and the options available for obtaining a temporary license during the resolution process. Concrete Contractors

Matt McLane Reply

Posted Jul 07, 2023 at 15:01:41

Yes Allison, you can in fact get a temporary Permit to drive in Kansas for 12 months while you resolve the outstanding tickets. This is a valuable tool as you, like others, are saddled with unpaid tickets. Kansas DOR is generous in granting these 12-month “permits”. I think it’s best to hire a lawyer to help you with the application process. Feel free to contact my office for more information.

Leave a Comment

McLane Law Firm

Matt McLane has been defending individuals charged with DUI, traffic and criminal offenses since his graduation from Washburn University Law School in 1996. Licensed in the states of Kansas and Missouri. Mr. McLane specializes in DUI and criminal defense throughout the Kansas City metropolitan area.

Contact Us Today!

Mr. McLane´s clients benefit from his experience and reputation of being a respected, professional attorney with a strong work ethic who is committed to successfully resolving every client´s legal challenges in a Timely and Professional manner.

McLane Law Firm, LLC
(913) 322-4715 (fax)
Mon: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Tue: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Wed: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Thu: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Fri: 08:30am - 05:30pm